Lancaster County Academy Records
This collection contains records of the Lancaster County Academy a secondary school that operated in Lancaster Pa from 1827 to ca. 1840. Materials include committee reports, trustees minutes, correspondence, receipts, and construction bids.
- Majority of material found within 1827-1830
- Lancaster County Academy (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Photocopying and publication may be restricted by copyright. except by permission of copyright holder..
Biographical / Historical
The Lancaster County Academy was located at 109-115 N. Lime St., Lancaster. The academy was incorporated on 14 April 1827 by an Act of Incorporation passed in the Pennsylvania Legislature. The amount of $3,000. was appropriated at the time of incorporation. The appointment of a principal and the construction of the Academy building both occurred in the Summer of 1827.
The first classes met on 23 October 1827 in a private home on W. King St. since construction on the N. Lime St. building had not been completed. Instruction in both classical and mathematical departments were offered.
Principals of the Academy: 1827 ‐ Feb 1829 James P. Wilson, Jr. Apr ‐ May 1829 Joel Erwin Sum 1829 ‐ Dec 1830 Robert Birch Oct 1831 ‐ ? John B. Patterson Jun 1832 ‐ ? Dr. James Power Aug ‐ Oct 1833 John Keenan Oct 1833 ‐ Spg (?) 1836 Rev. Charles A. Van Vleck Spg 1836 ‐ 1839 Rev. Aaron A. Marcelus
With the departure of principal Rev. Aaron Marcelus in 1839, classes were never resumed.
Franklin College purchased the Academy building in Aug 1840 for $593.34. In 1837 the Academy building was also used by the Lancaster Conservatory of Art and Sciences and by the City Lyceum. For a history of the Academy see: Worner, William Frederic. "Lancaster County Academy." Papers read before the Lancaster County Historical Society. v.36:2. 1932. pp. 83-100.
1 Linear feet (.5 (.25 linear feet) (boxes))
Language of Materials
Collection: Organized into folders corresponding to the type of records such as correspondence, reports, minutes etc.
Ownership and Custodial History
Provenance unknown. Possibly acquired by Franklin College with the purchase of the building in 1841.
Processing completed May 1985.
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script