Nathan C. Schaeffer Papers
This collection consist of the personal papers of Rev. Nathan C. Schaeffer. Materials include addresses and lecture notes from 1899 as well as honorary degree certificates received by Schaeffer during his career.
- Majority of material found within 1895-1914
Restrictions on Access
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Photocopying and publication may be restricted by copyright. except by permission of copyright holder..
Biographical / Historical
Nathan Christ Schaeffer (1849-1919), a native of Berks County, graduated in 1867 from Franklin and Marshall College. After attending German Reformed Seminaries in Mercersburg, PA and in Germany, Schaeffer became Professor of Ancient Languages at Franklin and Marshall College in 1875. In 1877 he left F & M to accept the position of Principal at the Keystone State Normal School in Kutztown, PA where he served until 1893. At this time he became the State Superintendent of Public Instruction for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and served in this capacity until his death in 1919. A respected and renowned advocate of education, Rev. Schaeffer was constantly in demand as a speaker on religious and educational topics as well as a candidate for numerous committee, trustee and public positions. In 1902 he joined the Board of Trustees of Franklin and Marshall College and was offered the position of President but declined. His son John Ahlum Schaeffer later served as President of the College from 1935-1941.
.25 Linear feet (.5 box)
Language of Materials
Collection: Organized into folders corresponding to type of material.
Ownership and Custodial History
Processing completed c.1985.
- Franklin and Marshall College -- : Correspondence. -- : Alumni and alumnae
- Franklin and Marshall College -- : Correspondence. -- : Faculty
- Franklin and Marshall College -- : Correspondence. -- : Trustees
- Franklin and Marshall College
- Personal correspondence. Subject Source: Fast
- Schaeffer, N. C. (Nathan C.), 1840-1919.
- Trusts and trustees. Subject Source: Fast
- Universities and colleges -- Alumni and alumnae. Subject Source: Fast
- Universities and colleges -- Faculty. Subject Source: Fast
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script