Linnaean Society of Lancaster City and County Records
This collection consists of administrative materials, correspondence, section reports and memorials.
- Majority of material found within 1862-1889
- Linnaean Society of Lancaster City and County (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Photocopying and publication may be restricted by copyright. except by permission of copyright holder..
Biographical / Historical
The Linnaean Society of Lancaster City and County was organized and chartered in 1862 by several local individuals, including S.S. Rathvon and Jacob Stauffer, who were interested in studying and learning about the natural world. The society was named in honor of Carolus Linnaeaus, aka. Carl Linne (1707-78) a Swedish botanist who developed a system to classify flora and fauna. The society met and housed its collections in various locations in the Lancaster area during its early years. In 1889, at the urging of Prof. John Stahr, the Trustees of Franklin and Marshall College provided quarters for the Society in the Academy Building. In 1901-02, the museum, library and collections were moved to the third floor of Stahr Hall. The Society ceased to exist as an active entity in the 1920's, but the collections they accumulated formed the core of the natural history collection of the North Museum.
1 Linear feet (4.5 (2 linear feet) (boxes))
1 Linear feet (1 (flat drawers.))
Language of Materials
Collection: Organized into 5 series: I. Organizational Records and Collection Information-- II. S.S. Rathvon Materials-- III. Memorials---IV. Section Reports--V. Microfilm.
Ownership and Custodial History
The materials were in the possession of the North Museum prior to their transfer to the Archives.
Processing completed July 1986.
- History. Subject Source: Fast
- Learned institutions and societies -- Pennsylvania -- Lancaster. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Learned institutions and societies. Subject Source: Fast
- Linnaean Society of Lancaster City and County -- : History.
- Natural history -- Pennsylvania -- Societies, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Natural history -- Societies, etc. Subject Source: Fast
- Pennsylvania -- Lancaster. Subject Source: Fast
- Pennsylvania. Subject Source: Fast
- Rathvon, S. S. (Simon Snyder), 1812-1891.
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script