North Family Papers
Identifier: MS 035
The North Family papers contain correspondence, official documents, scrapbooks and genealogical materials documenting the North Family. Hugh North Sr. and Hugh North Jr were both prominent Lancaster lawyers in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Hugh North Jr. gave the funds to endow a natural history museum at Franklin and Marshall College which now bears his name.
- Majority of material found within 1868-1919
- North, Hugh McAlister, 1826-1907. (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Photocopying and publication may be restricted by copyright. except by permission of copyright holder..
Biographical / Historical
Hugh McAlister North was born on May 7, 1826 in Juniata County, PA. After attending the academy at Mifflinburg, PA he studied law in Union County where he was admitted to the bar in 1849. After moving to Columbia, PA he became a prominent attorney in Lancaster County and was instumental in founding the Lancaster County Bar Association in 1880. North served in the State Legislature from 1854-? and ran for several other political offices including: U.S. Congressman in 1864 and Lt. Governor in 1874. In 1860 and 1876 he served as a delegate to the National Democratic Conventions. North also served as President of the First National Bank of Columbia and as a director and solicitor for several large corporations. North married Serena Franklin in 1868 and had two children, Serena Mayer and Hugh Jr. He died in 1907.------ Hugh M. North, Jr. was born on June 21, 1873 in Columbia, PA. He graduated in 1897 from Yale University and became a prominent Lancaster County attorney and civic leader like his father. In 1915 he married Elizabeth Cottman. North died at the age of 56 on May 20, 1929 from pneumonia. In his will he left $200,000 in trust to Franklin and Marshall College for the creation of a museum of antiquities and objects of art and industry relating to Lancaster County history to be located in his home at 229 E. Orange Street. In 1951 the trust was assigned to the College allowing for the construction of the North Museum on campus, which opened in 1953.
2.5 Linear feet (6 boxes)
Language of Materials
Collection: Arranged by into folders by topic or correspondent.
Ownership and Custodial History
The material in this collection was transferred to the Archives and Special Collections Department in March 1995 by Carol Faill, Curator of College Collections. The materials had been housed in the North Museum and the Rothman Gallery prior to transfer. The materials may originally have been given to the College by the estate of Hugh North Jr. (probably by his sister Serena North Hutchinson.).
Processing completed November 1995.
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script