Righter and Sutton Lumber Company Records
Identifier: MS 036
This collection contains, business correspondence, legal and financial documents, and orders relating to the lumber business of Washington Righter and his partner Nelson Sutton of Columbia, PA during the period 1847 - 1879.
- Righter and Sutton Lumber Co. (Columbia, Pa.) (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Photocopying and publication may be restricted by copyright. except by permission of copyright holder..
Biographical / Historical
Little information is known about Righter and Sutton Lumber Company. It is believed that Washington Righter (1799?1879) was originally a tanner by trade and came to Columbia, Pa. from Chester County between 1827 and 1834. In 1834 he established himself in the lumber business in Columbia. By 1847 Righter went into partnership with Nelson Sutton (a partnership which appears to have ended in 1858 with the death of Mr. Sutton) as Righter and Sutton. He later (about 1864) formed a partnership with his sons Washington, Jr. (d.1902) and Joseph C. Righter as the firm, Washington Righter?s Sons. The company opened a wholesale and retail lumberyard in Philadelphia in 1873, continuing until 1881 when they began a wholesale lumber business in Williamsport. In 1887 the company purchased the Piper Sawmill in Williamsport and continued under the name Righter, Benedict & Co., changing the name in 1889 to W. Righter?s Sons & Co.
.25 Linear feet (.5 boxes)
Language of Materials
Collection: Arranged into folders by type of material.
Ownership and Custodial History
This collection was purchased in June 1988 from Charles Apfelbaum Rare Books and Collections.
Processing completed December 1995.
- Industries -- Pennsylvania -- Lancaster County. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Industries. Subject Source: Fast
- Lumber trade -- Pennsylvania -- Lancaster County. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lumber trade. Subject Source: Fast
- Pennsylvania -- Lancaster County. Subject Source: Fast
- Righter and Sutton Lumber Co. (Columbia, Pa.)
- Righter, Washington, 1799-1879.
- Sutton, Nelson, -1858.
- Washington Righter's Sons (Columbia, Pa.)
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script