League of Women Voters of Lancaster County Records
This collection contains by-laws, board meeting minutes, bulletins, publications, unit study reports, historical background information, photographs, and newspaper articles.
- Majority of material found within 1947-1998
- League of Women Voters of Lancaster County, Pa (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Photocopying and publication restricted by copyright. except by permission of copyright holder..
Biographical / Historical
In 1947, the League of Women Voters of Pennsylvania contacted Mrs. Clifford Wightman, an active member of the Lancaster YWCA, and suggested the idea of starting a local League of Women Voters in Lancaster. Mrs. Wightman joined with a few other women to promote interest in a local League. In December, 1947, the first organizational meeting was held. The purpose of the League of Women Voters is to encourage informed and active participation of all citizens in government and politics. The League of Women Voters of Lancaster County engages in unit study programs on the local, state, and national levels and provides voter services to citizens. The work of the League has fostered a community of well-educated, involved citizens in Lancaster County.
9.5 Linear feet (23 boxes)
Language of Materials
Collection: Organized into five series: I. Organizational materials (minutes); II. Publications; III. Subject files; IV. Miscellaneous; V. Publicity materials. primarily arranged in date or topical order thereafter.
Ownership and Custodial History
The League of Women Voters of Lancaster County Records were donated in two parts. A large portion of the collection was received in 1989. Additional materials were received in 1998 and 2000. The collection was donated to Franklin and Marshall College by League members, including Joan Horine, Ann McCall, Louise Stevenson and Maralyn Anderson.
Processing completed May 1998.
- Lancaster (Pa.) -- Politics and government. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lancaster County (Pa.) -- Politics and government. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- League of Women Voters of Lancaster County, Pa
- Pennsylvania -- Lancaster County. Subject Source: Fast
- Pennsylvania -- Lancaster. Subject Source: Fast
- Politics and government. Subject Source: Fast
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script