Herbert H. Rawnsley Autograph Collection
Identifier: MS 050
This collection consists of unpublished correspondence and documents dating from the 13th through 20th centuries relating to and/or signed by historically prominent individuals. Also included in the collection are examples of English and American (Pennsylvania) legal papers such as deeds and a few early examples of published material such as newspapers.
- Majority of material found within 1500-1945
- Rawnsley, Herbert H. (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Photocopying and publication may be restricted. except by permission of copyright owner..
Biographical / Historical
Dr. Herbert H. Rawnsley of Washington, PA collected these documents from ca. 1965 through 1985 mostly from dealers in Great Britain. Mr. Rawnsley was born in 1919 in Conshohocken PA. He was a 1936 graduate of Franklin and Marshall Academy, a 1940 graduate of Franklin and Marshall College and a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania Medical school. He served in the U.S. Army Medical Corps in WWII and later practiced obstetrics and gynecology at St. Luke Hospital (Bethlehem) Magee Women's Hospital (Pittsburgh), and Washington (PA) Hospital. He died in 2004.
5 Linear feet (4.5 boxes)
1 Linear feet (5 flat boxes)
.20 Linear feet (1 flat drawer)
Language of Materials
Collection: Organized into 3 major series corresponding to type of document. Series 1) contains autographed or signed documents by American Notables, English Rulers, English Notables, Authors, Nazis, Scientists, Inventors, and Physicians; Series 2) Specimens of Legal and Business Documents containing deeds, grants, patents, bills of sale, etc; Series 3) Specimens of printed materials consisting of newspapers, book leaves and prints.
Ownership and Custodial History
Personal collection of authentic autographed and historical documents purchased / collected by Dr. H.H. Rawnsley ca. 1965-1985 and given to the Library in 2001.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Source of acquisition--Herbert H. Rawnsley. Address--Washington, PA. Method of acquisition--Gift; Date of acquisition--2001..
Processing completed August 2001.
- Authors, English -- Autographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Authors, English. Subject Source: Fast
- Autographs -- Specimens. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Autographs. Subject Source: Fast
- Great Britain. Subject Source: Fast
- Manuscripts -- Specimens. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts, Anglo-Norman -- Specimens. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts, Anglo-Norman. Subject Source: Fast
- Manuscripts. Subject Source: Fast
- Monarchy -- Great Britain -- Autographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Monarchy. Subject Source: Fast
- Scientists -- Autographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scientists. Subject Source: Fast
- Specimens. Subject Source: Fast
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script