Johannes Schwalm Historical Association Collection
Identifier: MS 052
This collection consists of research materials gathered by the Johannes Schwalm Historical Association an organization dedicated to the history of the Hessian soldiers who became citizens of the new United States after the American Revolution and their German-American descendents. Available to interested researchers are mostly secondary materials such as journals, monographs, family histories, articles, dissertations and manuscripts documenting German-American families, history and culture.
- Majority of material found within 1975-present
- Johannes Schwalm Historical Association (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
Access partially restricted.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Photocopying and publication restricted by copyright. except by permission of copyright holder..
37 Linear feet (92 boxes)
82 Books (82 books)
.10 Linear feet (.5 flat drawers)
Language of Materials
Collection: Organized into several broad groups corresponding to type of material. Group 1- Journals; Group 2- Genealogical Research files; Group 3- Articles, pamphlets, dissertations, manuscripts; Group 4- Published/transcribed diaries; Group 5- Books; Group 6- Photographs, microfilm, fraktur, maps.
Ownership and Custodial History
Prior to its donation to Franklin and Marshall College in 2001, The JSHA Collection had been deposited at the Gratz Historical Society in Gratz, Pa. Additional materials, received in 2002 were in the possession of JSHA Secretary Mark Schwalm, President Rich Barth and member Bob Webler. In 2003 materials were received from Association officers Rich Barth, N. Daniel Schwalm, and James E. Swalm. Additional materials were received in 2004 and 2007. A portion of the collection (microfilm of British military records from the UK National Archives and 29 other reels of microfilm of archives relating to Hessian soldiers in the American Revolution) was transferred in 2010 to the David Library of the American Revolution.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Source of acquisition--Johannes Schwalm Historical Association, Inc. Address--Pennsauken, NJ. Method of acquisition--Gift (ongoing); Date of acquisition--2001-.
Processing completed 2003.
- American Revolution (1775-1783)
- Genealogy. Subject Source: Fast
- German Americans -- Genealogy. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- German Americans. Subject Source: Fast
- Germany -- Hesse. Subject Source: Fast
- Hessian mercenaries. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- History. Subject Source: Fast
- Johannes Schwalm Historical Association
- Military participation -- German. Subject Source: Fast
- Schwalm family.
- Soldiers -- Germany -- Hesse. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers. Subject Source: Fast
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783 -- Participation, German. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Subject Source: Fast
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script