Skip to main content

Haines Family Business Records

Identifier: MS 068


The Haines Family Business Records collection documents two distinct business enterprises run by the Haines Family of Lancaster County over several generations. The first section contains records of an early to mid- 19th century shad fishing company and the second features the business dealings of a late 19th century canning company/ general store. The shad fishing collection includes account books, attendance books, bills, business correspondence, and legal documents dating from 1833 to 1841, while the general store collection features business correspondence, bills, and receipts from the year 1887.


  • 1833-1887
  • Majority of material found within 1833-1841


Restrictions on Access

Access unrestricted.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

Publication may be restricted by copyright. except by permission of copyright holder..

Biographical / Historical

In the early to mid 1800s, Jeremiah B. Haines and John Kirk (as well as several other men) owned and operated a series of shad fisheries in Lancaster County, including Kirk’s Battery, Washington Battery, Brown’s Fishery and Halfway Battery. This fishing operation was actually only one of many links between the two men’s names; this very extended and influential family included several marriages between the men and women of the Kirk and Haines families.

Born on April 3, 1797, Jeremiah B. Haines was the son of Timothy Haines and Sarah Brown. As well as being a shareholder of the shad fishing company, he owned a mercantile business in Darlington, Maryland called “Brown and Haines”. He established a post office in Little Britain, Pennsylvania in 1825 and was appointed as postmaster in 1826 and 1841. Jeremiah B. Haines helped to build the Conowingo Bridge, and also owned a farm called the “Frazer” or “Frazier Place” which Eugene M. Haines later inherited. After erecting a frame store and a dwelling house (later called the Railroad Hotel) in a town then known as Barr’s Quarries, either Jeremiah B. Haines or his brother, Lewis, actually gave the town it’s present name: Quarryville.

Members of the Society of Friends, the Kirk family was an “honest, industrious and intelligent” family (according to Ellis and Evans’ Biographical Annals of Lancaster County). The Kirk family was very influential in the 18th and 19th centuries – the town of Kirk’s Mills was actually founded by John Kirk’s father, Jacob, which John’s half brother Lewis J. was a member of the Board of Commissioners of Lancaster County. John Kirk was apparently already familiar with Jeremiah B. Haines before they opened their shad fishing business together, as John’s half sister Mary Kirk was the wife of Jeremiah’s son, William P. Haines.

Eugene M. Haines was a direct descendant of Jeremiah B. Haines. In the 1870s, he was employed as a clerk in the town of Pleasant Grove, PA. By the 1880s, he owned a general store called E. M. Haines and Co., also in Pleasant Grove.


.5 Linear feet (1 box)

15 Folders

Language of Materials



Collection: Organized into two series corresponding to business enterprises. arranged by content.

Ownership and Custodial History

This material was purchased from a local antiquarian book dealer in May 2005. The material was presumed to have been locally and privately held prior to the dealer's acquisition.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Source of acquisition--The Book Haven. Address--Lancaster, PA. Method of acquisition--Purchase;; Date of acquisition--May 2005..

Processing Information

Processing completed July 2005.

Description rules
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Franklin and Marshall College Special Collections Repository

PO Box 3003
Lancaster PA 17604 United States