Darlington-Pontius Sheet Music Collection
This collection contains sheet music of popular favorites, Broadway hits, and songs from motion pictures, spanning a period from 1917 to 1974. The majority of the collection consists of songs from popular motion picture musicals from the golden age of Hollywood ca. 1930-1950. Composers represented include: Irving Berlin, George M. Cohan, Hoagy Carmichael, Richard Rodgers, Oscar Hammerstein, and Jerome Kern.
- Majority of material found within 1930-1950
- Darlington, James M. (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Photocopying and publication may be restricted by copyright. except by permission of copyright holder..
Biographical / Historical
Dr. James M. Darlington (1908-2000) was a professor of biology at Franklin and Marshall College from 1937 to 1974 and served as Dean of the College from 1957-1961. As professor of Biology and the pre-healing arts program adviser he was responsible for building F & M's national reputation as a leading baccalaureate source of medical practitioners. He died in 2000 at the age of 92. Dr. S. Gilmore Pontius (1892-1974) graduated from Franklin and Marshall College in 1914 and later served as a trustee of the College. He was an active member of Lancaster's medical community serving as chief of the surgical staff of Lancaster General Hospital from 1939-1957. In addition to medicine, Pontius was interested in music and served as president and chairman of the Lancaster Community Concert Association. It is presumed that the sheet music was collected by Mr. Darlington and Mr. Pontius prior to giving to the College.
1 Linear feet (1 (.5 linear feet) (boxes))
Language of Materials
Collection: Arranged into folders alphabetically by title of song.
Ownership and Custodial History
James McCown 'Mac' Darlington (F & M 1930) and S. Gilmore Pontius (F & M 1914) donated this sheet music collection to the library presumably prior to 1974.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Source of acquisition--James M. Darlington and S. Gilmore Pontius. Method of acquisition--Gift; Date of acquisition--date of acquisition unknown (ca. 1974)..
Processing completed July 2004.
- Motion picture music -- Vocal scores with piano. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Motion picture music -- Vocal scores with piano. Subject Source: Fast
- Musical films. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Musicals -- United States. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Musicals. Subject Source: Fast
- Popular music -- United States. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Popular music. Subject Source: Fast
- United States. Subject Source: Fast
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script