Skip to main content

Franklin and Marshall Academy

 Record Group
Identifier: RG 03

Scope and Contents

Franklin and Marshall Academy was a college preparatory and boarding school that operated in cooperation with Franklin and Marshall College from 1872 until closing in 1943. Although it did not become a distinct institution until 1872, the Academy had existed as the preparatory department of Franklin College and Franklin and Marshall College since 1787. Through the vision of College president John Williamson Nevin and Principal Cyrus V. Mays, the preparatory department of F&M became Franklin and Marshall Academy in 1872 when a new building was erected on campus for the sole use of the Academy.

Rectors and Principals: Rev. Joshua Derr 1853-1855 Various College faculty 1855-1867 Rev. F.A. Gast 1867-1873 Cyrus W. Mays 1873-1875 Various College faculty 1875-1885 William Ward Moore 1885-1897 Edwin M. Hartman and Thaddeus G. Helm (co-principals) 1897-1917 Edwin M. Hartman 1917-1943


  • Creation: Majority of material found within 1871 - 1943


14 Boxes

Language of Materials


Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Franklin and Marshall College Archives Repository

PO Box 3003
Lancaster PA United States